The unit of this type preserved at Coventry
is privately owned by a member of the SERA. As such it is funded entirely
by it's owner but remains a welcome addition to the SERA EMU heritage
The 2-HAP fleet was built in various batches
at Eastleigh works between 1956 and 1963. They were all two car units geared
to run at a maximum speed of 90 m.p.h. on outer suburban and long distance
stopping trains. They all had English Electric electrical equipment and electro
The first batch comprised of 36 units introduced
to traffic in 1958 and built on the reclaimed frames of withdrawn 2-NOL units
using 'Southern Railway' inspired body shells as the BR standard body was
too long for the NOL underframe. The driving motor brake second (DMBS) coach
of the unit had a guards van behind the cab and two four bay semi saloons,
the driving trailer composite lavatory (DTCL) vehicle had one full width
compartment behind the driving cab and four second and three first class
compartments with a side corridor the length of the car. At the inner end
was a lavatory. The units, like all subsequent HAP builds were non gangwayed
so passengers requiring to make use of the toilet facilities had to ensure
they boarded the correct coach. These units were initially allocated to the
South Eastern division but later saw use on both the South Western and Central
divisions. In the 1970s their first class accommodation was downgraded to
second and the units were reclassified as 2-SAPs being relegated to suburban
duties. All units of this batch were withdrawn from traffic in the early
1980s. A number of the DMBS coaches were refurbished for use in other EPB
units for several years further service.
The second batch of 2-HAPs comprised 42 units featuring the
same traction and control equipment as the first batch but with BR standard
underframes and bodies which gave a revised layout to the DTCL and placed
three first class compartments with side corridor behind the cab then two
toilets in the centre of the car, one for first and the other for second
class passengers, with a four bay second class semi-saloon at the inner end.
This batch were in traffic by the end of 1958 and construction started on
the next order of 63 units of the same layout as that previously employed
but with revised motor control system known as 'Camshaft' or 1957 equipment.
A fourth batch of 41 units identical to the third was built in 191961 and
like all previous builds was initially employed on the South Eastern
The final batch of 27 2-HAP units was
completed in 1963 for use on the South Western division and had all the features
of the third and fourth batches but with commonwealth trailer bogies at the
vehicle inner ends and different window frames made of aluminium.
During subsequent years all batches saw
use on the three divisions of the Southern Region. At the time the initial
batch were being withdrawn some of the later units were being made up into
permanently coupled pairs with the units coupled together at the DMBS end
and the driving controls from those cabs being removed. The resultant four
car units were classified as 4-CAP units and they were initially allocated
to stooping services on the coastal routes from Brighton. They were all
transferred to the South Eastern division in the mid 1980s for use on Kent
coast stopping trains and suburban work.
Withdrawal of the HAP and CAP fleet was
a prolonged affair with the first units being taken out of traffic in 1982
whilst the last examples, by then all on South Eastern division suburban
traffic lasting until 1995.
When new all units were painted all over green
broken only by the yellow stripe at cantrail level over the first class sections.
Half and full yellow ends appeared in the 1960s and that gave way to all
over rail blue with yellow ends during the late 60s and early 70s. All the
units to remain in traffic beyond 1982 received inter city type blue and
grey livery and many of the HAP and CAP fleet that survived beyond 1990 were
repainted into the red, white, blue and grey of the Network SouthEast
Unit 5632, which was one of the initial batch of 36 2-HAP units built
to Southern Railway design is pictured here in later life close to withdrawal
at the rear of a Victoria bound service at Clapham Junction.
Photo: SERA Archive.
Unit 6013, one of the first of the BR styled units to be built is
seen in 1982 at Clapham Junction in blue and grey livery.
Photo: SERA Archive
A unit from the final batch of 2-HAP units to be built is pictured
all over blue livery after transfer to departmental stock.
Photo: G. Gleaves
BACK TO OUR FLEET PAGE